Hoghilag is a Saxon established village in the very early 14th century located between Sighisoara and Medias with around 1000 inhabitants today. In the mid XXth century the Saxons, who were at the time the majority of the population, started to plant Tuberose (Polianthes Tuberosa) a beautiful flower originating from Mexico.
Flowers trading was one of the very few not completely regulated and controlled activities by Communist party at the time and the local Saxons from Hoghilag used tuberose production as a way to generate a much needed secondary income for their families.
The 1989 collapse of Communism brought the Saxons the opportunity to immigrate to newly reunited Germany and the Romanians in Hoghilag to continue tuberose production and take it to a new level.
A dedicated and enthusiastic Romanian mayor, Nicu Lazar, 7 years ago started to present and promote his village as: “Hoghilag Tuberose`s Land”. A flower festival started to be organised in 2016 and local tourism slowly started to benefit from it.
2021 edition of Tuberose Festival in Hoghilag was organised from 6 to 8 August and attracted a large number of visitors from Transylvania.
Due to sustained local efforts Hoghilag tuberose will become first Romanian IGP certified plant and third in whole Europe along with Ghent Azalea and Szőregi Rózsa.